Terraferma - Minecraft Server
Would you like to react to this message? Create an account in a few clicks or log in to continue.

Terraferma - Minecraft Server

HomeLatest imagesRegisterLog in

Today's Server Issues and Solutions

Go down 
3 posters
AuthorMessage
Finamenon
Admin
Admin

Experience : 247

Today's Server Issues and Solutions Empty
PostSubject: Today's Server Issues and Solutions   Today's Server Issues and Solutions I_icon_minitimeFri Jun 15, 2012 11:21 pm

So today the server locked up hard, 3 minutes before I had to go to work. Were it just a few minutes earlier, a restart would have solved it. However given the timing it was down as long as it was for the reason above.

This post is to bring people up to speed about what happened, what is going to happen, and what you can do to help if you should desire.

What happened was that during our server backups, which occur every 2 hours, the computer hard locked up, most likely a problem with the hard drive. Because of this we had to rollback 2 hours from the time of the crash, because the backup obviously failed.

What is happening, is that currently the server seems fine. But I am not going to sit on my hands waiting for the issue to become catostrophic. The idea is to supplement and/or replace the current hard drive with a new one so we don't have to potentially rollback a couple weeks back.

In light of that, we are looking to see if anyone is willing to chip in to buy us a new hard drive for the server. We don't want you to take initiative and just do it, should you desire to help, but we do want to know if there is anyone who can throw down. The plan is to set up a RAID array of hard drives, consisting of 2 or 3 total.

These drives work in a way that, should one fail, the other 1 or 2 still has our data and were still up and running. Let me know what you guys think.
Back to top Go down
Finamenon
Admin
Admin

Experience : 247

PostSubject: Re: Today's Server Issues and Solutions   Today's Server Issues and Solutions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 4:26 am

Really?

REALLY?

A fucking power outage at 3:20am RIGHT as I'm doing the next server backup after restoring the fucking thing?

REALLY?

Fuck this town and fuck hard drives. Right up their pile of shit asses.
Back to top Go down
BeardedGuy80

Experience : 59

PostSubject: Re: Today's Server Issues and Solutions   Today's Server Issues and Solutions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 1:12 pm

COME BACK ALLIE!!!! COME BACK ALLIE'S SISTER!!!!
Back to top Go down
CannedWeasel
Wood
Wood

Experience : 15

PostSubject: Re: Today's Server Issues and Solutions   Today's Server Issues and Solutions I_icon_minitimeSat Jun 16, 2012 5:51 pm

Update: We've purchased a pair of hard drives to install in the server and set up a RAID, so hopefully this doesn't happen again. Also it'll give us some protection if a drive fails.

That said, we can get increased security and even increased game speed if we buy 1 or 2 more drives to set up a RAID 5 or 10, so if there's any interest to pitch in on that, let Ken know.

Drives should be in sometime next week, so info will follow.
Back to top Go down
Sponsored content

PostSubject: Re: Today's Server Issues and Solutions   Today's Server Issues and Solutions I_icon_minitime

Back to top Go down

Today's Server Issues and Solutions
Page 1 of 1